Monday, July 15, 2013

Random Thought 8 Brand Specialties

Well, I forgot I had made two drafts of posts, and kinda forgot I did until now, so today is a two for one day.

This is a topic that I get the logistics and focus of it, but I don't really like it. What I mean by specialties is when a auto company has multiple brands with each brand having their own niche. For instance, GM has Chevy has the every day car, Buick as the Premium brand, Cadillac as the Luxury brand, and GMC as the truck division.

One company I haven't gotten is Chrysler. Yes, I don't like how my favorite car company does SOMETHING. They're not perfect. (but they're pretty close)

Pre-2008 Chrysler (the overall company) had three manufacturers. Dodge built cars and trucks, Jeep built super off-roaders, and Chrysler (brand) built luxury. Each had their SRT performance variants of production cars.

In their Post-2008 Fiat owned period, they have Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram, and SRT. For some reason, they wanted Ram to focus on building trucks as a whole new brand and SRT as a whole new brand to focus on building screaming performance cars.

I get it. If there's a whole other group working on one sector of the market with their own allotment of funding, their own teams, leader, and their own focus, you can get things done, but with the red tape you would have to go through and rebadging and the confusion of splitting things up, my question is "Why?" Truely, could Ram not be what Ram is today without being seperate? Does it really bring more sales? Ford doesn't do that and they've been the sales leader for years in trucks. Does the Dodge name make trucks any more tough? I don't think so.

SRT being a completely different division is just asinine. No one else does it and so far, there has been no sales difference to speak of. I know they're trying to go for the whole "It's not a Dodge Challenger, It's a SRT Challenger" to get away from the slightly redneck upbringing Dodge has had, but I don't think people care that much. I sure don't.

If I had a car company, it would be one company that built everything. There would be no dealer left out of the car segment, or a a cowboy in rural Texas could buy my performance sports car and not have to drive 100 miles to go to an SRT dealership or anything like that.

It's Goofy. That's about all I can say.


No comments:

Post a Comment